My animation is seemingly becoming shorter, and I almost gave up on modo but it turns out I was just being an impatient user.
The main molecule, reverse transcriptase, is a low-poly version of PDB’s reverse transcriptase 2hmi.
Going into the molecule from the left of the image is single stranded RNA created from nucelotide PDB files ( obtained through mMaya tutorial : DNA: Variations on a theme) . I created a model for A, T, C, and G nucleotides. Then I randomly instanced one of the four models and using the maya pathAnimate function, the nucleotide was assigned to animate on a curve. I did the same with the DNA strand, however I created a model for each pair which would exists and randomly instanced the pair. I didn’t get to use particles like I wanted… to create a ‘blob’ effect however I think it is turning out very nice.
As soon as vimeo catches up with me you can see part of the animation here: